Vincas and Portulacas are 2 annuals that will add some, much needed late summer-early autumn colour to the garden. A favourite with bees the portulaca is perfect to plant around the vegie garden to improve pollination of summer fruiting crops.
To ensure success follow these simple steps:
- Buy seedlings that have been hardened off to the hot sun. Avoid those seedlings that are displayed in air-conditioned showrooms.
- Treat the soil with a wetting agent such as Seasol Super Soil Wetter & Conditioner and add organic soil improver such as well-rotted compost and manure or Seasol Liquid Compost to hold the moisture in the soil.
- Soak the seedlings in Seasol (30mL concentrate per 9 litres of water) for 30 minutes before planting and then water in with the Seasol solution.
- Place a small branch over the seedlings to shade them while they are getting established.
- Water morning and night for the first 2 weeks.