If you have a bare balcony staring at you, filling it with edible plants will give you the greatest joy. Edible plants are some of the easiest to grow, even for beginner gardeners. A little confidence and good observation skills are all you need as there is nothing technical about growing your own fresh salads.
Essentials for balcony gardens:
- Use large pots and if space is limited plant multiple varieties of plant in one pot.
- Add coco peat to potting mix to increase water holding capacity of the soil Coco peat is a recycled product that’s cheap and beneficial to plants growth.
- Protection from hot afternoon sun is essential for soft delicate plants. The use of taller plants for shade or a small canopy of shade cloth will benefit establishing plants.
- A trellis or frame is needed for larger plants such as climbing beans or cherry tomatoes.
- Water saving products are critical for successful summer gardens. These include crystals or planting gel such as Seasol Planting Gel which are added to potting mix at planting and wetting agents that will prevent soil from becoming water repellent. Seasol Planting Gel is a blend of semi hydrated water storing crystals, Seasol and essential nutrients directly to the plants roots at the critical time of planting to give them the best start possible.