- Consider the movement of the sun and where it is at different seasons. A tree positioned to cast shade in spring over a window may not be effective in summer due the change in the height of the sun.
- For summer shade and winter sun, plant deciduous species.
- Deciduous climbers grown over pergolas cast dense protective shade.
- A canopy of foliage will protect sun sensitive understory plants.
- Consider at what time of the year the area will be used and design the space accordingly. What type of shade does it require?
- Can existing trees or buildings be used to your advantage?
With searing temperatures, the shade cast by a cleverly placed tree or two ensures the great outdoors can be enjoyed throughout the summer months. Strategically planted trees will also reduce internal temperatures of buildings and plants have a large role to play in modern architectural design. Climbers are also the perfect solution for quick fixes as they will reach the top of a pergola or frame in a short time.